PagesPat's Ponderings

Monday, January 6, 2014

If You Can't Feed the World, Just Feed One

Happy New Year, crafters!  I am starting the year with a wonderful gift.  I am now a DT member for the Path of Positivity Challenge Blog, a place where you can go to see projects or posts that provide help, hope, courage, love, forgiveness, peace, motivation, encouragement, etc. It is a place to come especially on those days when the woes of the world just seem too much to bear. 
This is my first post as a POP team member and and I want to introduce this month's theme of Generosity with a story.
When my kids were small, I used to take them to the local grocery store and give them $5 to spend on food to be donated to a local food pantry. I warned them that I had the option to trade out their choices with something I thought would be nicer, and they would have to eat whatever they had chosen but been traded (I know, I'm sneaky that way). So they would spend twice the time I planned at the store choosing their food donations, but we all left happier for knowing that families somewhere would enjoy the goodies we gave.
I (secretly) was also giving my kids a lesson in generosity. Generosity is not a quality that people are born with but that must be learned.  What better teachers than parents to give children their lessons in generosity?  So when you give, whether it be money, time, even a smile, do it in front of your children so they will pick up on your good habits, kind of like that saying "Do what I do, not just what I say."  Or did I misquote?! LOL
For my easel card, I used a digi image called "Cupcakes Galore" from this month's POP sponsor, Digi Stamps 4 Joy.  I printed the image three times, twice at one size and once at a slightly larger size. (There was something wrong with my printer and the image kept spitting out in red, so I just went with it)  I colored my images with my trusty Copics, then fussy-cut the first in its entirety,and the second just the cupcakes that appeared closet to the eye, which ended up being the top cupcake, and the middle three on the next two steps.  I used dimensional tape to adhere my layers.  I colored just the top cupcake from my largest image to use on the bottom/inside base of my card.
The patterned paper is from DCWV "The Colorful Life" Stack.  I embellished with jewels from The Paper Studio.
When the card is closed, you can see the bit of lace, ribbon roses and washi tape that I used for embellishments as well.
I used a quote from Decosse's Dynamite Doodles.  It defines generosity so well, because often people think that to be generous you have to have a lot to be able to give it away. But just think: If you gave just enough to feed one person, you've made a positive difference in that one person's life.  Now what if we all made that small but significant gesture of generosity? Can you see the domino effect building from it? Wouldn't the world be a better place for your one small act?
I bet you're wondering about the challenge, huh? 
Anything that you'd like to share of a positive and inspirational nature that follows the monthly theme, is acceptable!  The challenge runs from January 6 for about a month.  A top seven will be chosen by the entire Design Team (DT) and will be posted in a separate post. 
The sponsors and prizes for this challenge are:
 ·   Ten digital images from Creative Bug Digitals for the person out of the top seven who receives the most votes during voting week.
·     Three digital images from Ike's World for the post or project that the DT deems most inspiring of the bunch.
·     Five digital images from Digi Stamps 4 Joy, our guest sponsors this month, for a person chosen in a random draw based on all entrants.
·     One digital designer paper from Décosse's Dynamite Doodles for one lucky voter who leaves a comment.

·     One digital sentiment for every single person who enters the challenge from Décosse's Dynamite Doodles as well.
Hope you will play along this month, so link your GENEROSITY creations to Path of Positivity Challenge #10. 



3 comments:

Holly Young said...

I love your card! The cupcakes are so pretty, and the sentiment is so touching! I really love the story you told us about teaching generosity to your kids. What a great way to show compassion for others. Congratulations on your new design team placement!

Donna Ellis said...

Great card and sentiment regarding generosity, Pat! Love your rainbow of colors, reminding us that generosity is everywhere, and that it can be a small touch, too. hugs, de

Path of Positivity said...

Welcome to the team! You have no idea how happy I am that you decided to join us. Your art, ideals, thoughts and positive nature make you a perfect addition to the team.

What a fabulous way to teach your children about generosity. If only more parents out there would do so, we'd live in a much better place. To emphasis that it doesn't matter if we only have a little to give, to just give what we can is also a very important lesson.

Your card turned out beautiful. The colours are so inviting and of course the quote you chose just emphasizes your point. Lovely first official DT creation. I can't wait to see what else you have in store for us!

Hugs,
Lisa