PagesPat's Ponderings

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Inspired by my Daughter to Paint

"Find your Wings and Fly..."  That's always been my wish for my daughter, but her wings seemed to be broken until she was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder.  Even if her wings had been open and strong, she was frozen from flight by anxiety and fears.

During the last few months, she has been going to therapy sessions and taking meds.  Her fears were becoming manageable, her stress levels lowered, but the final acknowledgment that things were turning the corner came yesterday when she was challenged.

Her friend needed a ride from our hometown suburb to downtown Chicago, and when we weren't available to drive them, she took the Jeep (which she doesn't like to drive) and on the way home (expressway, merging & darkening skies), she battled bouts of nerves with each flash of lightning until she drove up the driveway (just before the storm hit).

I'm so proud of her!!  She not only made the decision to "find her wings" herself, but "took to the air" and made it through unexpected obstacles.  She faced her fears, gritted her teeth (and gripped the steering wheel) and FLEW!!!

So I had to create this mixed media canvas in celebration of her flight, and in anticipation of many more to come.  She will soar to newer and higher heights in her life, and that turns my own fears and doubts into Optimism with a capital "O."

I used an altered key I had made for a challenge, as well as a heart charm and handmade flowers from fabric, to embellish my canvas.  I painted, ModPodged, stamped, Stickled, smeared, and then hand-printed and painted the sentiment.

I'm entering this project in The Positivity Blog, where Optimism is the challenge theme this month, and positive and motivating vibes are the message there.  I just discovered this blog and LOVE their mission "...a place where you can come to see projects or posts that provide help, hope, courage, love, forgiveness, peace, motivation, encouragement, etc... A place to come especially on those days when the woes of the world just seem too much to bear."

6 comments:

nwilliams6 said...

Love your creation and your very heartfelt story. My oldest DD has a similar problem so I was so thrilled to hear your daughter's success story. Hope she continues to climb that mountain and conquer the obstacles. Great work! Hugz - to you and your daughter!

Desire Fourie said...

Such a beautiful mixed media project. This is so perfect for our OPTIMISM theme this month. Thanks for sharing your talent with us and good luck.
Optimistic Hugs
Desíre
{Path of Positivity DT Member}
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Path of Positivity said...

Hello Pat!

Once again you have created a beautiful piece of mixed media artwork. It is hard to sit back and watch the people we love struggle so it was nice to see the triumph that your daughter encountered as she fought her inner fears and took a scary leap into the unknown. How nice of you to celebrate this 'flight' with a creation made in her honour. Even tiny little steps forward can create a surge in optimism. I hope and pray that she will continue to unfurl her wings, soar high above and continue to throw herself into the unknown believing that she will indeed succeed.

Thank you for entering a second creation on our Path of Positivity this month. It is a pleasure to come by again and see your work and just as importantly what you have to say.

Lisa D., Owner

Donna Ellis said...

BEAUTIFUL artwork, and such lovely encouragement, analogy and love flowing in the way you have shared your daughter's story. Thanks so much for brightening my day. hugs, de

Shona Erlenborn said...

That brought tears to my eyes! I can so relate to this story. Your project is gorgeous, what great inspiration.

Holly Young said...

Such a wonderful story behind this work of art. Thank you for sharing with us. I love your pice - the fabric flowers and the way you did the sentiment is great!