PagesPat's Ponderings

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy Birthday America and Wendy!

Today, on the day the country celebrates freedom, we celebrate my daughter's birthday!!  One year, when she was about five,we signed up to be in the Fourth of July parade.  We cut out assorted sizes of circles from large magnet sheets and placed them on our red VW Bug, turning it into a Lady Bug, and taped a poster to the front with the words, HAPPY BIRTHDAY WENDY!
Today she turned 17, and parades are viewed with her friends, picnics are far and few between, but we still take her to see the fireworks.  She requested a birthday dinner of corned beef and cabbage, with purple mashed potatoes (from trader joe's), and we secreted away in the fridge downstairs a delectable strawberry shortcake from our local grocery store.
Our presents are wrapped, including one in the box I made, pictured here.  I love the Squigglefly image used here, called Thistle by artist Diana Garrison.  I had to bring up a photo of thistle, as I am not a flower person.  I wanted to know how to color it, and it seemed to have pale shades of green and purple.  So I thought how pretty it would look on a gift box holding some sweet treats for Wendy's birthday.
Squigglefly's new challenge is a monochromatic theme of a summer color.  Summer is sweltering with hot purples, neon purples and pale purples.  Isn't the thistle the national flower of Scotland?  LOL, I've always wanted to visit the country, even if I don't play golf!!
Meanwhile, you should check out the challenge over at Squigglefly.  There's a prize of free digi's for a random player.  Who doesn't like FREE?
Have yourself a safe and happy holiday!!

5 comments:

Holly Young said...

Pat this turned out so pretty! I love the white stitching lines and you did an awesome job cutting the images out. I love the purple color. I hope your daughter enjoyed her birthday - 17 is a great age!

Penberthyrn said...

Hopped on over. Beautiful work!
Shelly

Holley (Tondre) Barnhart said...

Great job for this week's challenge. Love the box. Cheers, Holley

Barbara said...

It's beautiful...
TFS,
Barb S (FL)

THERESA said...

This is gorjus, i am sure she just loved it, nothing beats that homemade gift made with love !!
lotsa luv