PagesPat's Ponderings

Monday, December 12, 2011

Day 12 - Clean and Simple

Squigglefly is posting one of the most difficult challenges for me personally:  Create a CLEAN and SIMPLE card that reflects the upcoming holiday season, whether it be Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or New Year's. Let's see what CAS means to you!

Squigglefly's Holy night digi image
 Now, when I scrapbook I cannot get into the "white space" technique, so this CAS technique is driving me wild.  I want to add bling, to paper piece my image, to add a few more layers onto my card!  My style is anything but CAS!  However, I promised myself that I would never step away from a challenge, and that I would attempt more techniques and projects that I've never done before--at least once.  I mean, it took me months before I would try to make an easel card, and now they are practically my favorite card to make!  So saying, here's my idea of what Clean and Simple looks like in Patacake's craft room.
After printing Holy Night digi image from Squigglefly, I decided there was so much detail that I would give it a little color by using my Glimmer Mists from Tattered Angel.  I used all three of the colors I had on hand: Patina, Key Lime Pie and Pink Bubblegum.  I then framed the image onto black cardstock.
The cardstock that I used for the card base needed some toning down, but how to do this in a minimalistic way?  I had an errant paper doily on my desk (how she got out of the drawer I don't know) so I used it to back my framed image.  Still too much green, but I did like the color, so instead of starting over again with a different card base, I used some white pigment ink on the edges to distress/lighten it up just enough to satisfy my artistic eye.
Finally, I had to add one tiny jewel above the image.  Now, some may say that having more than one layer, or adding the bling at the end, defeats the CAS standard, but for me, this card is so clean and simple that I want to ADD MORE to it, so I will put it in an envie and send it to a friend right this minute (well, when I'm finished typing) to keep my hands off of the "finished" project.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

It turned out great. I don't think I can do this challenge!

Holly Young said...

Great way of adding color to this Pat! I think you did great with CAS style.